Monday, February 8, 2010

Nine lives

With two close calls, I am choosing to believe that I have nine lives to cash in and not three strikes before I'm out. See, I had a pretty bad wreck when you were little. The kind involving multiple cars, stuck doors and fire. I got out of that one with bruises, whiplash, some singed hair, and a head trip that lasted for quite awhile. "What if I had gone for McDonald's instead of El Pollo Loco? What if I had been in a faster line at the store?" What if, what if, what if.

"What if" doesn't get you anywhere. What happened happened and there aren't any parallel universes to explore the other possibilities in. You deal with what happened, otherwise you just get yourself in a tizzy. I do, anyway.

So this other close call was, of course, the bike wreck. No head trip this time, I've already done that. However, it was a bit of a wake up call. You don't know when things are going to go pear-shaped, but you can bet that they will at some stage. Don't let it mess with your head, before or after.

Way I figure, I can have things go badly once every ten years and still make 100. Ha, see what you have to look forward to?

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree with you, bro. When my son died, we went over 1,000 "what ifs" and none of them brought him back or comforted us. It was too late. There was NOTHING we could do. We literally went crazy with the "what ifs". "What if I had been a better father, then he wouldn't have made the choices he did", etc. I think we punish ourselves with "what ifs". You are right about just dealing with what happened. It's hard to "move on" and I still fight the "what ifs", but maybe one day I'll get past them. Thanks for your openness.

    ReplyDelete