Friday, August 20, 2010

Learning to drive is frustrating

It is especially frustrating when your dad is in the passenger seat saying things like, 'you took that turn too fast' and 'you need to turn faster.'  Believe me, I know.

When I learned to drive (yeah, here we go, 'back when I was a kid'), I had to take a semester of driver's ed, six lessons with an instructor, and something like 40 hours driving with a parent.  The experiences were boring, boring, and super frustrating, respectively.  First time out with my dad I was moving the wheel left and right while driving straight, just like Tom Slick.  He said something along the lines of 'what the hell are you doing? Knock that off.'  Then I'm pretty sure in the same outing I blew a red light.  And drove too close to the gutter ('don't drive there, that's where all the crap is.')  Tailgated, too, I'm sure.  All within about 10 minutes.  Thirty-nine hours and fifty minutes to go.

We both survived it and looking back, I think Pops was remarkably patient and showed a fair bit of restraint.  He later taught me to drive a stick shift in his big Ford truck, which turned out to be pretty easy.  At least it was compared to the one attempt with my mom who had freaked out, convinced I was going to burn up the clutch.  Anyway, I hope I'm doing as good a job as my dad did and that you aren't getting too pissed off.

No comments:

Post a Comment